First post of 2018 I really must make more of an effort. In my defence I have been a bit busy working on projects which when complete, should make the garden a bit more manageable. I must admit gardening was never work until I started to grow fruit and veg it’s like my hobby has turned into a full time job. OK, so what has changed…well all the raised beds are now in place and all bar one are either planted up or sown with seeds. The final bed in the back plot (right hand side) will be for rhubarb which has had a huge helping of home made compost, horse manure and dead wood added…Mr Mole is providing the topsoil bit by bit …I’m going to plant this up in the autumn when I split my old crowns which are currently in the front veggie plot. The two small raised beds are for growing on cutting and flowers the half bed on the left is filled with mint.
We’ve started to clear under conifers a rather laborious task I must admit. Hoping to make use of some of the space to keep our store of winter kindling, rotting leaves and perhaps the stinky comfrey fertilizer bin.
So the back is pretty well sorted and to be honest creating the paths in the back was a doddle as I’d made sure the width of the paths were sufficient. A slightly different story in the front where the beds grew like topsy and perhaps should have been that wee bit further apart…Nonetheless the paths are complete…a combo of bark and reclaimed stones! A one day task that turned into three 🙂 I’ve taken to naming all the beds A-Z as it’s the only way I can keep track of what I’ve planted! I’m up to the letter W so little scope for more beds…
So front and back veggie plots all pathed (hopefully this will mean much less weeding!). I’m finding the raised beds much easier to weed, feed and water so creating them has paid off and last year I did get a good harvest all round.
Polytunnels 1 and 2 have had new covers this spring (after four years) and poly 3 had her cover repositioned after losing it in a storm. Not a job I’d want to repeat in a hurry. I’m now keeping all my seed trays in front of the polytunnels to ensure they get regular water. Currently, little stands are being made from reclaimed timber to house the trays this may help keep them slug free…or not! Polys are planted up with 31 tomatoes plants, 3 chilli plants (still using last year’s supply!) and marigolds. I’m keeping the centre beds planted with strawberries in an effort to stop me from over planting and turning the tunnel into a jungle. When ‘Lidl’ bought basil plants have been used I chop down the plant and plant that in the polytunnel it soon regrows. I’ve never had much luck growing basil from seed.
Finally, hens are back, three new ones to replace the ones claimed by ‘nature’ aka Mr Fox plus the sole survivor…lots of eggs getting eaten at the moment along with masses of strawberries.